Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Caramel Swirl Hunks!


Another Recipe!

After venting in my last blog I decided it was time for another recipe.  A topic considerably more popular and enjoyable! 

Several years ago I acquired a new cookbook.  Actually, I bought it as a gift for my daughter who has inherited my love of baking.  The name of the cookbook is what grabbed my attention: “A Passion for Baking” by Marcy Goldman.   I have a passion for baking, Katheryne is working on a passion for baking, so I decided to buy it and see what it offered; I have not been disappointed!!  In fact, I loved the cookbook so much bought a copy for myself when Katheryne left home for college and took her cookbook with her.  The wonderful thing about this cookbook is it includes sweet and savory recipes: bread, scones, biscotti, cheesecake, pies, cakes, muffins, and of course, cookies and cookie bars.   So many good recipes!

My kids and I love chocolate!!  I have several favorite brownie recipes, which will be shared at some point, but it is nice to have a change-up every now and then.  This recipe is the perfect change-up.  It is baked in a 9x13 pan so you have the ease of brownies, and it has chocolate chips in it, so there is a little chocolate.  But the batter is a wonderful butter and brown sugar combination with caramel swirled over the top…awesome!!  They were a huge hit every time I took them to work for a potluck and be warned – they are dense and heavy!  So enough talk; here is the recipe.

Caramel Swirl Hunks

2 cups unsalted butter, melted
3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
4 large eggs
4 tsps. Vanilla
1 cup quick oats
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 13.4 ounce can dulce de leche

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Generously spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and place pan on a baking sheet.
Blend butter and sugars.  Add eggs, vanilla, and oats and blend well.  Fold in dry ingredients and then chocolate chips.
Spread batter in prepared baking pan.  Top with dollops of dulce de leche and swirl dulce de leche into batter.
Bake brownies for 38 minutes or until batter is set (not wobbly or jiggly).  If brownies seem browned around the edges but jiggly in the center, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking 10-15 minutes or until set.
Refrigerate for 1 hour and cut into squares.

This recipe will not taste the same if you substitute margarine for the butter.  If you use salted butter just omit the salt from the recipe.  And the last time I made them I had to turn the oven temperature down and bake them for almost another 25 minutes; they still taste great!
A Passion for Baking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Southwest Dip

I am absolutely convinced that you don’t have to be a great cook to be considered a great cook – all you need are a couple of easy recipes t...