Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ordinary or Extraordinary?


May 16, 2012

Today’s blog is going be random things.  There are so many things going on in my life right now that I am rather overwhelmed.   It has been a while since I wrote a blog post because honestly, I didn’t know what to write about. (Yes, I know I keep saying that!)  But I have promised myself to do better at blogging, and since I don’t know what to write about random things seems a good place to start. 

I woke earlier than normal this morning – 5AM.  Yes, normally I would not be excited about waking up so early, but today was different.  The window next to my bed was open and I awoke to the most beautiful birdsong.  I would love to wake up to that song every morning, except that at some point I would stop finding the beauty in the song and it would become background noise.   But this morning I appreciated the beauty of the song and the joy of a new day!

I am well tanked with coffee this morning too.  My coffee consumption increases when I rise earlier than normal.  There is something about early mornings – cool and quiet, that makes coffee taste better.  And holding a mug of something warm in your hands is very nice too.  I keep trying to cut back on my coffee intake.  I have tried eliminating coffee entirely and find it impossible to do so.  Perhaps if I liked green tea it would be easier to give up coffee.  But I don’t like green tea and do not find most teas an adequate substitute for coffee.  So instead of trying to give it up I have tried to cut back on the amount of coffee I drink.  Again, I am finding this just about impossible.  Maybe when my life is not in such turmoil it will be easier to cut back on coffee.  But right now I need my friends in life and coffee is a very close friend. 

So a little more tired than normal, and having consumed more coffee than normal I am planning out my day.  It will be filled with ordinary things.  I need to get the oil changed on the van, wash and vacuum out the van, do homework, do laundry, run the vacuum…I will wash a few dishes, listen to the new Matt Redman album “10,000 Reasons” and sing along with my favorite songs.  I will pray for my kids, pray for my family, and probably take a nap this afternoon.  Today is not a special day, and yet it is incredibly special for it is made up of the ordinary things of life.  Some of these things I thought were lost to me and I am amazed at their blessed ordinariness!   Yes, I drink coffee every day and I hear the birds every day but somehow today, the ordinary seems to be extraordinary.  May your ordinary be extraordinary to you today!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Southwest Dip

I am absolutely convinced that you don’t have to be a great cook to be considered a great cook – all you need are a couple of easy recipes t...