Sunday, September 16, 2012

Happily Employed!

September 16, 2012

I have been happily working for the last several weeks now. It has been a huge deal finding a job. I sent out resume’s, filled out applications, and visited employment agencies for almost four months and finally one of the employment agencies turned up something promising. In fact, I responded to an email from them (I had responded to other emails like this) and they called me back within an hour and I had the job “for sure” by the following week. I am amazed at how things worked out and really thankful because so far, it is about the perfect job.

I am a teller at a credit union. It is a credit union that has several branches throughout Ohio, but it still relatively small. I have been surprised though, at the amount of business – new accounts, loans, etc. we do considering that our branch is located in a less affluent area and our numbers are compared with branches located in more affluent communities within Ohio. Our branch not only holds it own, but over the last several months we have done better than many of the other branches. 

So my job, basically, is to handle monetary transactions for the credit union members. I take their deposits, make loan payments for them and give them (as long as they have the money) cash from their account. I answer phone calls and give out balances and confirm whether direct deposits have been made or if check # whatever has cleared. When I work the drive through window not only do I hand out lollipops to little kids, but I also hand out dog biscuits to the members who bring their puppies with them. It cracks me up to have a member pull up to the window with their dog on their lap waiting for their dog biscuit – and some of them are big dogs!

For the most part the members are pleasant, my co-workers are respectful and enjoyable to work with, and I work part time. Plus, I get to wear jeans to work. The only down side to the job is that it doesn’t pay well, but that’s okay. The good paying job will come down the road. For now, I love having a job that is low stress and lets me get my homework done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Southwest Dip

I am absolutely convinced that you don’t have to be a great cook to be considered a great cook – all you need are a couple of easy recipes t...