Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Still Wrestling With God: The Three Assumptions


I used to hold back in expressing my feelings to God. I was brought up believing it was a sin to say anything that could be construed as disrespectful, it was a sin to disagree with God, and it was a horrible sin to be angry with God over things that had happened to me.  I would think things—mentally carry on conversations, sometimes rants, but not verbalize anything. I am not exactly sure when the light bulb went off, but one day it occurred to me:

God already knew what I was thinking.

If He were God ONLY then perhaps my thoughts were a sin. But I had already experienced too much of the relational side of God and it didn’t strike me as logical for God to want a relationship with me, create me with feelings and then get mad when, as part of the relationship, I expressed those feelings, so I began to open up in my conversations with God. I began expressing my anger.

Many times, in the heat of the moment, it is hard to separate out the emotions involved in our anger. The secondary emotion behind anger is fear, so while anger may be an emotion, it is also a defense mechanism; it is how we protect ourselves. When I first started honestly communicating with God, I railed at Him. I was hurt and afraid and I thought He should have stopped the things that happened to me. But something happened as I continued expressing myself. I began to realize that my anger was misplaced. I don’t think it would be the same for everyone, but for me, as I expressed how I felt, I was able to sort through the different emotions involved in my anger. As I sorted through emotions, I was able to let go of them and see things more rationally. With rational thought came the realization that some of my feelings were not logical. When I realized my feelings lacked validity, I knew I had to reevaluate some of the things I thought I knew about God.

Little rabbit trail here… Yes, I know feelings are not logical and I don’t expect them to be logical. I also know feelings are not right or wrong; it is what we do about how we feel that is right or wrong. But I think we do ourselves, and those around us, an injustice in NOT evaluating our feelings for validity. We miss an opportunity for personal growth!

When people hurt, they look for an outlet for their pain, and they tend to look for a person to blame. They lash out in an effort to find relief. Some people point a finger at an individual and many people point a finger at God. I also felt, when I started honestly talking with God, like somehow He was responsible for what happened to me. I know God is sovereign, all knowing, and all-powerful, and I know He has and does intervene in miraculous ways to help those who follow Him. But what do you do with the times when you prayed and asked God to intervene and nothing happened? Does that mean that God failed? Is it a betrayal in some way? In evaluating God’s sovereignty and miraculous intervention, I realized that there were three assumptions I had to consider: God did nothing to help me, God is responsible for my pain, and God should have stopped the other person from hurting me.

Let’s consider these statements.
1.     God did nothing to help me. This belief is responsible for many people walking away from God. But upon closer reflection, it is actually rather arrogant. How do we know God did nothing to help us? Can I state with absolute certainty that God did nothing to help me? The reality was and is that there are many things that happen on this earth every day that we know nothing about. In order for us to state unequivocally that God had done nothing, we would first have to know everything that God is doing. So I may feel like God has done nothing to help me, but, regardless of the situation, that does not make it the truth.
2.     God is responsible for my pain. The fact that God did not stop the people who hurt us, does not indicate that God endorsed their actions. In evaluating my specific situations and evaluating how God feels about sin, I know that God wanted the people that hurt me to behave differently. Each of those individuals were given numerous opportunities to do the right thing, to walk away from the sin; in each situation the person or people made a choice. God’s ultimate power and authority does not lessen the personal responsibility of the people making the choices. Because I know that someday we will all answer for our actions, I also realized that, while they may or may not face any consequences here and now for their actions, ultimately they will answer for their choices.
3.     God should have stopped the other person from hurting me. As I consider this thought now, it amazes me that we put this on God. Most people are offended with God because of what He considers sin and because of what the Bible says we should and shouldn’t do. When we put this idea on God, we are expecting God to let us do what we want while he stops other people from doing what they want. We want to be free, but we don’t want others to be free. We can’t have it both ways.

The final part will be posted next week... 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Southwest Dip

I am absolutely convinced that you don’t have to be a great cook to be considered a great cook – all you need are a couple of easy recipes t...